As you read this, I’m neck-deep in Genghis Con 42 here in Denver, a hotbed of gaming goodness with a deep love for Savage Worlds. Evil Beagle Games – my publishing company – is a proud sponsor, so yeah, I’ll use today’s Pick to highlight our biggest Savage success to date – the Freedom Squadron Commando’s Manual.
A total love-letter to G.I. Joe and other action cartoons of the 80s and 90s, Freedom Squadron nonetheless updates the concepts to a 21st Century perspective and adds a lot of “cool factor” for older gamers. In other words, less “red and blue lasers” and more “what if this stuff happened for real?”
Well, OK, there’s still cool costume-style uniforms, code names… and ninjas!
It’s the year 2051, and World War III only ended two years ago. Even as the world began to rebuild from the conflagration, humanity was rocked by the revelation that a massive organization engaged in a terrible conspiracy to bring Earth to its knees and under their control. VENOM became the enemy of all freedom-loving people, using military might, criminal undertakings, weird science, occult mysteries, and economic warfare to attack humanity and install their mighty leader, VENOM Commander, firmly in control of the world.
But Freedom Squadron has something to say about that! Formed by the allies of the Trans-Atlantic Coalition, under the auspices of the United Nations, Freedom Squadron is an international force comprised of elite soldiers, sailors, pilots, special agents, first responders, and more, all dedicated to protecting the Earth from VENOM and other terrible forces and strange, mysterious dangers.
The Freedom Squadron Commando’s Manual is everything you need to create a hero ready to take the battle to VENOM, using the Savage Worlds system:
- Vocation Frameworks like Athlete, Guerilla Fighter, Law Enforcement Officer, Medic, Ninja, Pilot, Sailor, Soldier, Spy, and many more!
- Hero’s Journey Specialization Tables such as Black Ops, Close Quarters Combat, Command, Intelligence, Naval Operations, Special Operations, Tech & Engineering, and more!
- New Edges, including Carnage Corps, Fighting Style, Operational Planning, Strange DNA, Zone Specialist, and more!
- Introducing Focuses, special enhancements to Skills that both simplifies and fleshes out the Skill system of Savage Worlds.
- Tons of Gear – weapons, armor, vehicles, and more!
Grab this manual and get started on earning your Code Name, Recruit! Welcome to Freedom Squadron!
Check out Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition (Kickstarter March 19th), the next generation of superhero gaming!
Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, Freedom Squadron, Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition, and much more!
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!