Yesterday, Super Games Week featured Steve Kenson’s exceptionally light-and-fun ICONS. Today, we take a look at the other end of the spectrum, the very expansive and complete Mutants & Masterminds Deluxe (3rd Edition) rules. Considerably more complex, M&M is founded on a d20-oriented engine, but it diverges considerably from the standard OGL experience. Fans love the enormous flexibility, and the “saving throw” orientation of the resolution system is novel and effective.
This is arguably the top superhero game in the marketplace, or at least one of them.
Fly into super-heroic battle with Mutants & Masterminds! You and your friends take on the roles of super-powered heroes in a world of criminal masterminds, paranormal terrorists, destructive brutes, and other insidious villains. You get to thwart their evil plans and bring them to justice!
Since 2002, Mutants & Masterminds has earned its title as the World’s Greatest Superhero RPG, inspiring countless game sessions and winning many awards for excellence. The Deluxe Hero’s Handbook is the revised and expanded core rulebook of the game’s Third Edition and it gives you everything you need to have your own super-heroic adventures:
- A flexible and powerful system for creating the hero that you want to play.
- A huge variety of super powers, skills, and advantages to choose from and customize.
- A core system that emphasizes action and uses only a single 20-sided die.
- Integrated rules for gadgets, vehicles, and headquarters.
- Ready-to-play archetypes and a Quickstart Character Generator if you want to get to the action even faster.
- Advice for Gamemasters on creating and running your own adventure series.
- Introductions to Mutants & MasterMinds premier settings, Emerald City and Freedom City.
- Two brand new adventures, Ghost Town by Seth Johnson and Time of the Apes by Christopher McGlothlin.
So what are you waiting for? Choose your powers. Put on your mask. Fight the forces of evil and… Save the world!
Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!