In Honor of Stewart Wieck (1968-2017), one of the founders of White Wolf and one of the original creators of Mage.
Finishing up It’s a Kind of Magic Week, it feels like there’s not a better final Pick than one of the iterations of what many feel is the ultimate iteration of “gaming the arcane.” By my Belovedest Carinn’s estimation, M20 represents the best version of Mage, so I am going with it as today’s Pick. However, there’s a few flavors of “agents of change” for your consideration, including Mage: The Ascension (Revised) and Mage: The Awakening (2nd Edition).
I tell you this: We are Divinity.
Reality is ours to bend. To subvert. To command.
We have that power – all of us.
Not everyone knows what to do with it, or uses it well.
Most of us never realize just what it is we are or how much we can do.
Those of us who do… well, some of us are monsters.
Manipulators. Parasites. Tyrants. Fanatics.
And the rest of us never see that monster in our own mirror, only in the reflections of those folks who are not “us.”
Here’s the truth, though: We are ALL “us.” We are ALL gifted,
We can ALL change the world. Most of us remain asleep.
A blessed few Awaken. Fewer still use that power wisely.
And none without consequences.
And so, reality is up for grabs. Where do you stand?
And will you Fall… or Ascend?
What’s in it?
• Updated profiles of the Council of Nine Traditions, the Technocratic Union, and the Disparate Crafts… with many unexpected developments.
• An epic history of magick and its factions.
• A compilation and clarification of essential and optional rules, including martial arts, vehicles, hazards, cybernetics, the Otherworlds, and far more besides.
• Overviews of paradigms, practices and tools – the focus of your Art.
• Detailed explorations of the epic concepts involved in Mage.
• Chilling looks at the Nephandi and Marauders.
• The Nine Spheres, plus their Technocratic variants.
• Old favorites and new faces from among the Awakened Ones.
• Reality Zones, Paradox, Quiet, the “coincidental vs. vulgar magick” debate, and far, far more…
• New full color original art by Michael William Kaluta, Echo Chernik, Steve Prescott, Christopher Shy, Larry MacDougall, and other classic Mage artists, as well as classic B&W pieces carefully chosen from the earlier editions.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!