More and more, I am becoming convinced that – when done right – creating and publishing system-agnostic support materials for RPGs is a great idea that can help lots of Game Masters, regardless of what system they’re using.
It seems to me that Tricky Troll Games is doing it right.
Astonishing Worlds is a systemless setting designed to be used with tabletop RPGs capable of handling a retro-style space opera. This work is inspired by the science fiction of yesteryear when good and evil were clear and Pluto was still a planet. Astonishing Worlds is a nod to the retro science fiction found in comic books and television from the 1950s and 1960s. Imagine an alternate reality in which the fantasies of this era of speculative fiction were real, and the only limit was human imagination.
Inside you’ll find:
- 28 outlined worlds spread out over four solar systems.
- 12 Character Archetypes to spark the imagination.
- Guidelines on the three types of races: Humans, Near-Humans, and Beastmen.
- 5 Terrifying villains known as the Galactic Lords, each with their own sinister empire.
- A planet, alien, and adventure generator.
- And much more!
Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!