My buddy Russ Morrissey is full-speed-ahead with his dreams to publish even more awesome, fun gaming stuff, and here’s the latest entry in the What’s O.L.D. Is N.E.W. line. We’ve seen pieces of the system for a while – O.L.D. (the fantasy RPG), N.E.W. (sci-fi), and N.O.W. (the surprise third core, covering modern-day, primarily 80s-era action), all part of the larger, universal-system driven whole that is WOIN. Unapologetically crunchy, this is meant to be your anything-and-everything 21st Century approach to what Hero System and G.U.R.P.S. accomplished in the 80s and 90s, but with the wisdom and design sensibilities of today.
Note: If you’ve picked up the previous, sectional releases for N.E.W., you’re already pretty much good-to-go. This is the book that collects all of that under one cover.
Bounty hunters track down outlaws hiding in trader towns on worlds at the fringe of the galaxy. Starships explore unknown worlds, going where nobody has gone before. Great generational arks seek somewhere to call home. Detectives investigate a murder on a trail which will take them from Mars to Jupiter’s moons. Agents infiltrate a criminal organization, going undercover to take down a galactic crime boss. A group of smugglers locates a new hyperdrive system to increase the speed of their freighter.
Play a brave starship captain, a reckless smuggler, a hardy marine, or a daredevil pilot. Are you a cunning bounty hunter, a clever engineer, or a charismatic trader? Over sixty science fiction careers await you!
This roleplaying game allows you to create and run adventures in any sci-fi setting!
- A range of alien species, and over 60 careers which allow you to generate any far-future character with a fun, intuitive life-path system.
- A wide array of science fiction equipment, including weapons, armor, drugs, cybernetics, vehicles, and more. Wield anything from a laser sword to a sonic pistol; use a gravbelt or a handheld scanner; wear a kevlar vest or a powered suit of armor.
- Full rules for running the game, including fast but tactical combat, environments, and extended scientific, medical and engineering tasks.
- Starship combat rules, both using detailed hex-based miniatures and abstract theatre of the mind.
- Rules for creating ship crews from which to form specialized Away Teams for specific missions.
- Astronomical information, space travel, and information on starship crews and operations.
- Extensive guidelines for building a far-future game setting, with detailed rules for creating star systems, planets, civilizations, races, careers, monsters, and more, along with discussion on genre, theme, and technology.
Whether you’re aboard a starship exploring new worlds, a bounty hunter tracking down outlaws on the fringes of civilisation, an agent infiltrating an intergalactic criminal organization, an intrepid hunter of exotic alien species, fighting a galactic civil war, or just a trader trying to make your way in an uncaring universe, N.E.W. has you covered!
This is a What’s O.L.D. is N.E.W. core rulebook.